Webmaker training and #netneutrality

Next week kicks off the start of a new round of Mozilla Webmaker training. It’s set up as four one-week long modules in which participants will explore, build, facilitate, and connect with various aspects of the web. And, it will be fun! It’s all about making and remixing stuff in a low-stakes, low-key environment, with friendly and helpful people that can lend a hand if/when needed.

On a deeper level, this training is important as it prompts us to question why we value the web, and gives us the tools to do something with and about it. If we choose to do so. I’m looking forward to the first week’s discussions about the open web, connected learning, and ownership and authority. Learning more about how the web works is a component of digital literacy. Head over to the sign up page if you want to join in!

Thanks to Mariana Funes, I came across Vi Hart’s explanation of what Net Neutrality is all about and why it matters to each of us, whether we realize it or not. Best line from her video: “You’re paying your ISP to deliver the content you choose.” That sums up the crux of the debate for me. Her description of common carriers (around the 7-min mark) seems to resonate a bit with the idea of the internet as a utility.

She also has an extensive listing of resources, and contacts for FCC & legislative representatives. Harness the power of the web to ensure your opinion about how the internet is governed reaches your elected officials.