Who whooo missed it. Me. I missed it.

Evening before last I took my dog to the dog park out by the airport.  As soon as I got out of the car I heard them.  Two owls.  From somewhere up in the hills they are talking to each other.  For a moment I wonder if they are pigeons.  Then I wish I had some kind of ornithology background so I’d know for sure.  Do pigeons coo at night?  I just didn’t think so.  Must be owls.

Earlier in the day I had been to the YouShow talk on audio and I had my listening skills tuned up and I was thinking I should record that because it is so cool.  But I only have my phone and the recording is not the greatest.  I needed one of those cool gadgets Jon showed us.

We were the only ones at the dog park and if you’ve ever been to that dog park, there is a walking area in a huge oval with a play area in the middle.  As I am walking around the oval I keep thinking, I should pull out my phone and record those owls.  But I am worried there is too much other noise.  The hum of the lights, the occasional car and so on.  But those owls are calling to each other and it is so cool.  One would hoot and then the other would respond from a location further along the mountain.

So I am coming around the final curve of the oval and I’ve decided.  When I get to the closest spot I will record.  I pulled out my phone, switched it from photo to video.  Then the cars started flying over the railway tracks, then people arrived at the dog park yakking and making all sorts of noise.  Argh.  Missed opportunity.