structuring my show

I’d like to focus my efforts during The You Show towards creating a platform for my work, reflections, learning and such. My intent is to end up with a media-rich portfolio/cv that can include elements from my research, plans, projects and various interests. Seems appropriate…

So far, I’m grateful for the input from Alan and Brian in terms of providing the technical scaffolding necessary to make this a coherent site and also the inspiration to do it with more style than I might otherwise be able to muster.

Here in week one, we are presented with the opportunity to create an organizational structure for a portfolio site, one that I would like to be informed by the Alan’s presentation on the shape of stories.

I’m at the brainstorming stage right now and used FreeMind to generate a map of the structure that I think is a good starting place for this site.

I’m not entirely convinced yet that there will be that many actual categories on the site, because that seems excessive, but maybe it’s relatively normal? I am regularly surprised by WP and how robust it is. Perhaps only the ‘teaching’ and ‘learning’ categories will be that deep, while the others will stay relatively shallow.

As you can see below, I’ve got my category hierarchy started.

categories

When I was tooling about last night, I started off with a hierarchy of pages, then the ‘Portfolio’ post-type enabled with the JetPack plugin. However, after reading ‘The Boys’ argument against using pages, I will head down the path of using categories to organize posts. I hope that it will allow for greater flexibility in displaying content where I want it and not where I don’t.

It does seem that the ‘portfolio’ post-type uses categories (renamed as ‘Portfolio Types’) and that they are actually posts, but the portfolio project I started last night didn’t show up in the feed on the main page. Perhaps this is only an indication that the problem would be limited to this course and sending my feed to YouShow…perhaps not.

As this structure evolves over the next little while, and I add media content, I hope that there will be more of a story arc evident in the site.

Comments welcome.

PS. Anyone have a quick way to change the © notice at the bottom of every page to a CC license?