Dem God Damn Nuts

Confession #1 – I have a deeply entrenched and unhealthy relationship with peanut butter. I literally can’t even get enough of that greasy, smooth, spreadable delicacy…I just want it in and around my mouth at all times. I know all the facts, that shit is not good for me, but I am like a battered women, I just  can’t shake what’s bringing me down.

Confession #2 – I steal peanut butter from my dog. Stop judging me.  Just don’t buy peanut butter you say; it’s so simple you say. WRONG. My dog Izzy really likes it, and more importantly it distracts her when I jet out the door for work in the morning. Sooo, sometimes I buy her a jar of her very own, I even write her name on it. Not even a dog’s name written in permanent marker can keep me off the stuff. Between Izzy and I that dirty number is polished off by weeks end.

Confession #3 – I will lick a stray spoon if I think there is peanut butter residue on it. This has mostly worked out for the best, but one time it didn’t. I am still unsure what was on that spoon, but it sure wasn’t peanut butter.

Not alone in the struggle #saysgoogle

What I am trying to say here, is that, I have a problem. When it comes to will power, I have it in spades…but that road ends abruptly at PB. I can literally give up everything else in my life; no grains, no wheat, no sugar, no dairy but for some god damn reason those little nuts have me in their grip. Apparently I am not the only one with the addiction though – start typing in Peanut Butt…into Google and it automatically populates to #peanutbutteraddict

I have got to admit, this makes me feel at least a little bit better about myself.

I am not completely discriminatory though, I actually like all nut butter, and lets not even get me started on Nutella. Lucky for me, almond butter doesn’t sit well in my stomach and Nutella is t0o obviously unhealthy, so I tend to shy away.

So, this post is mostly a reminder to myself and all the peanut butter addicts out there why we should shut the PB out of our diet. Also, lets just assume you are eating natural organic peanut butter and not the processed junk because you are way too smart for that.

Fungus – Peanuts are grown under the earth and because of this they are covered in aflatoxins.  “Aflatoxins are produced by mold that can damage the liver and may lead to liver cancer. Aflatoxins cause cancer in some animals.” – http://www.medicinenet.com 
There have also been numerous studies done on the effects of aflatoxins on humans, sooo, if this isn’t reason enough to stray away from the butta…I don’t know what is.

Not a good source of protein – For some reason people are under the impression that peanut butter is a good source of protein. False. You would have to eat about 100 grams of PB to get 25 grams of protein. That means you would literally have to eat 600 calories in peanut butter to get that protein you’re craving. (Not unheard of though…I am pretty certain that I have downed 600 calories worth of PB in a day before). You’re much better off eating a steak.

Contaminated – Most crops that are grown underground are sprayed with pesticides and peanuts are no exception. Due to the high fat content of peanuts, they are highly permeable and are likely to absorb everything around them…including those gnarly pesticides. If you are going to buy nut butter, ALWAYS buy organic, no exceptions.

Omega 6 – Peanuts are super high in Omega 6’s. If you have read my previous posts then you will have some idea that we don’t want too many of these in our diets because they cause inflammation and have links to cardiovascular disease and some cancers. Its much harder to obtain adequate Omega 3’s (hence the need for Omega 3 supplementation), therefor loading up on foods high in Omega 6 counteracts everything we have been working towards.

Not Paleo – If you are strict Paleo than peanuts are off the list of acceptable snacks. Peanuts are considered legumes and legumes are, by Paleo standards, considered anti-nutrients. If you are Paleo but still eat peanut butter, then…wamp wamp, turns out you are not in fact Paleo after all.

Satiating – Peanut butter, although tasty, is just not satiating. The reality is, a couple of calorie dense spoonfuls later and you will still be hungry. Unfortunately you will have just sent your daily macros skyrocketing. All I am saying is, watch out, cause peanut butter has the sneaky ability to add up fast.

Allergies – People are literally deathly allergic to peanuts. Part of that reason is that people are deathly allergic to the toxins and fungus that peanuts contain. Anytime foods are highly allergenic, I feel like it might be a sign to stay the fuck away from it! But that’s just me spitballin’.

If you are like me, and for some ungodly reason are drawn to the peanut butter like a moth to light, then I hope this has helped. Unless of course peanut butter has been mixed with chocolate, creating the perfect combination of dreaminess, well…then we are shit out of luck.

But for reals…lets join hands in this fight against peanut butter!