The Gain Train Dilemma

Idon’t like the phrase “strong is the new skinny” and not because I don’t think being strong is awesome (because I do), but because I think creating ideals related to body image makes things tough on everyone. I think people have the right to look however they want to look – strong, skinny, lean, shredded, masculine, feminine or maybe a little soft around the edges.

In the real world things are pretty simple, girls want to be skinny and ‘toned’ and guys usually want a lean shredded physique or some variation of muscle and limited body fat. But in the world of sports and Crossfit, things are a little more complicated.

The Dilemma –

I want to be strong, but I want to be lean. I want to be strong enough to squat 200lbs, but I want to be light enough to do a muscle up. I want to be slender and fast, but I want to have energy and feel powerful. I want muscular legs, but I want to rock skinny jeans! If my relationship with my body had a status on Facebook, it would most certainly be labeled as ‘it’s complicated’. Unfortunately for me, we all know what ‘it’s complicated’ means…. I am totally fucked.

If my relationship with my body had a status on Facebook, it would most certainly be labeled ‘it’s complicated’. Unfortunately for me, we all know what ‘it’s complicated’ means…. I am totally fucked.

There was a point in time where I made the clear and decisive decision to get skinny. I restricted my calories, shifted my diet, cut carbs and ate a lot of celery. I got really skinny and subsequently really weak. BUT, I liked how I looked. I got a lot of attention, the compliments came rollin’ and I could fit into all of the really cute ‘small girl clothes’. #sizeonewhaaaaa

Via rebeldieticial.us

One summer I almost didn’t make Team B.C. for basketball because they said I needed to put on some weight. That was a pretty harsh reality check for me and I had to decide what was more important. Obviously it was a no-brainier and a future basketball scholarship was on the line; I decided to stop being such a douche and start eating again. I put on 20lbs in hot minute and was back to my normal, ‘athletic’ physique in no time. The sad reality was, I couldn’t be skinny and successful at my craft because, that wasn’t my body type and to maintain that weight took a toll on my energy levels, strength, stamina and even cognitive function.

Decisions Decisions –

No Pants

Games athlete Alex LeChance shows off her abs and stands by her decision to ignore the number on the scale. Via instagram

It’s a decision many athletes are faced with…are we comfortable putting on lean body mass, wearing bigger pants, busting out of the shoulders in our shirts and seeing a higher number on the scale in order to make gainz in the gym?

I will be honest, for me, it’s a battle everyday.

In order to gain muscle, the body needs food—and lots of it. In order to shed fat after building this muscle, the body needs fewer calories and more tedious cardiovascular-type exercise. To try and embark on a mutual compromise between bulking and cutting typically brings compromising results in either direction. A good old fashion Mexican stand-off if you will.

Moving Forward – 

Crossfit is a great mix of heavy lifting and HIIT, so the ability to gain muscle and simultaneously get lean should be possible. For some people it comes easier than others, they can eat whatever they want and stay the same. For others, the struggle is real. I fell slightly short in the genetic ab lottery, but consequently I don’t tend to gain a ton of weight in my legs and ass. #commonass

I am still trying to find a balance, so I don’t have all the answers. I think what it comes down to is how you feel. Are you putting on weight but feeling strong and powerful? Are you putting on weight but feeling slow, heavy and sluggish? If you are feeling the latter, maybe it’s time to take a closer look at food quality and timing? Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to throw in a little steady state cardio now and again? Or maybe you should check-in with those Macros and see where you might be falling short.

At the end of the day, it’s your choice. If getting strong is important to you, than it’s important to eat enough to maintain those energy levels and support muscle gains. If you feel like shit and can’t perform body weight movements you once could, maybe what you are eating is not right for your body as this moment in time.

It’s your decision but be smart about it and embrace it! If you have an athletic female, don’t compare yourself to regular girls. You are NOT a regular girl. You can do shit regular girls can’t do and you should be pumped about it! (Note to self – be pumped about shit I can do when I am envious of small regular world girls in adorable clothes.) Whatever decision you make, be confident and walk around like you own the place because your shit is bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S.